Pre-Visualisation: Diner Concept and Set Build

 The next steps for this project were to work on concept artworks, orthographics for props, and to start building up the set for the Pre-Vis. The Pre-Vis just needs to be a very basic version of our animation and allows us to work out spacing and timing of the animation within the scene. 

I started off with the concept art to try and get an idea of what exactly our Diner will look like. I left out any props like cups or milkshakes to focus on the main aspects of the scene. This felt like a good diner design but clearly was missing a lot of things that gives a space its character and didn't particularly scream '80's' to me. 


The concept art was then developed later slightly to add more character to the set that was worthy of the era it's set in. 

I also started creating a basic floor texture to input into Maya to see what it would look like during the initial set build. I felt the grout line appeared too thick when applied so this was later fixed with the doormat from the improved concept art added. 

I redid the floor texture with a thinner grout line and added in a mat for the door. My combining the mat into the floor pattern, I saved myself time and rendering power but it does give a slight shine when rendered. This doesn't matter too much as the mat isn't in focus much during the actual animation with the angle of the camera, but Im glad I added it for the rendered shots that will eventually go in the Art Of document. 



Below is the first test render of the diner scene, clearly without a lot of its character but the main furniture is built and allows me to play around with character placement and get a feel for movability within the scene.



Comments

Popular Posts