Laundromat - Research, Storyboards, Animatic and script

 Research

Entrusted with the Laundromat scene of this collaborative animation project, I set to work understanding the codes and conventions of real Laundromats through visual research. The aesthetic of 80's laundromats was an enjoyable discovery; checker floors, neon colour schemes, abstract washing machine designs, and quirky shop fronts. This set correlates nicely with the overall style of the collaborative project; 80's retro. I found a multitude of reference images that will help construct a believable 80's laundromat set. A key part of building an effective environment, as emphasised by Justin Wyatt, is to use obscure details. For this reason, I dedicated some time to research potential props. I found that inanimate objects from the 80's were just as characterised and novel as architecture; contemporary graphically designed packaging, Illustrated marketing posters, and plastic plastic plastic! The images I gathered help to develop basic ideas and props demonstrated in my storyboard (below), allowing myself and the rest of the group to progress onto 3D animation.
Interior Ideas: Wall and floor colours, space variations, wall art.

Exterior Ideas: Window panes, Bunton, posters, architecture.

Props such as: Clothing baskets, washing machines, dryers, luggage, Walkman cassette, detergent boxes.


Scenario

This document was the first planning attempt of the laundromat scene and the events within it. I try to communicate Moom's unusual personality and lack of judgment through poor decisions throughout the description. I enjoy the narrative tone of this description; satirical and stupid.
A summary of the events during Moom's short time working at a Laundromat. 


Character, Set and Prop Design

The First finalised 'Laundromat Mom' Design using Maya to screen capture the 3D pose, and photoshop to illustrate his uniform. Developing on this design, i hope to create a fully realised turnaround along with various positions and expressions.
 Using Jasmine’s core character design, I’ve adapted Moom into a laundromat employee. Key elements such as socks, green shoes, freckles, Walkman and curly hair have all been transferred from the original design. I also developed a simple laundromat logo to help with viewer believability.


Above, I try to establish Moom's personality visually. Using methods learnt in Justin Wyatt's 'Body Language' lessons, I explore Moom's demeanour by positioning the character in ways that link to his characteristics. Anxious, Illogical, naïve.

Above, prop designs heavily influenced by 1980's reference photo's. I explore storage possibilities; how does laundry manoeuvre around the laundromat set? Walls also need decorating with posters. A significant prop within this laundromat sequence is the detergent box, I therefore designed this prop to be eye-catching through neon colours. 


Using the visual research conducted, I established an 80's style laundromat set design. The above images assign positions to the most significant props. I used my storyboard to create a plan that can be replicated in Maya. Further detailing should include luggage, plants and posters. 


Storyboard

A sequence of 18 thumbnails that outline the key camera positions within the laundromat sequence. These illustrations were used to format an animatic and annotations helped to produce the script. 
Laundromat Storyboards Frames 1-6.

Laundromat Storyboards Frames 7-12.

Laundromat Storyboards Frames 13-18.


Draft Animatic

Each member of the collaborative project drafted their individual sequences. This will help the editor to create a finalised animatic which includes each sequence. This method also allows each group member to get their ideas across and demonstrate how they want their scene to flow. I decided to include music, as this is an important aspect of the narrative that might have been overlooked without this animatic draft. 
 In this scene, Moom works in a laundromat. His lack of judgment leads to the laundromat being flooded with foam.
I decided to cut-out the end of my storyboard and allow more time for transitions. This also enables spare time for important frames. I like how the scene finishes abruptly, and I can always add the additional frames back in if the group needs more fill time.  
The final rendition of the collaborative animatic will also include intertitles. These will categorise the four separate scenes of the animation into their own separate scenarios. 

Script

Using my laundromat storyboards, Kim developed a script that details the events taking place within the laundromat sequence. It was beneficial for another team member to complete this task, as I could receive feedback on story flow and the clarity of my storyboard annotations. 

Laundromat Script Ver 2 By Kimberley Davis by Saskya Olsen on Scribd

Script Written By Kimberley Davis

Comments

Popular Posts