Diner - Research, Storyboards, Script and Animatic

Once we had settled on our scenarios and theme for our animation, we split the four scenes between ourselves - with myself working on the diner scenario. With our initial generic 80's research, I already had a pretty good idea on what visuals I was going for but I focussed my research specifically around diner interiors and the roller skate waiters uniform. 

A look into the uniforms informed me that it typically included a collared shirt with an apron. The majority of my uniform research was on the diner roller skates in which I played around with a few designs. I decided the skates needed more of a sneaker/trainer style high-top shoe to further demonstrate that our scene is set around the 80's - a time when Nike Air Force 1's were first released and became iconic. 



Next on my research agenda was the diner interior, it became clear quickly to me that typical American diners didn't change too much between the 60's and 80's - one way to keep it clearly in the 80's era is to stick to the bold and bright colour palettes and neon signs and lighting. 


Drawing from the overall Moom design that Jasmine created for this collaboration, the only thing to do was to add Moom's diner uniform and roller skates.


Next up was to write out a script for the diner scene, at this time we hadn't yet discussed the audio for our animation, whether we would have any narration or stick to sound effects. As such I wrote out a simple outline for my first version of the script. Kim later took these initial scripts and combined them into a full and cohesive script for the entire 2 minute animation. 
Below is the first attempt at the storyboards for this diner scene. Based on some storyboarding research, I read that there should be one storyboard drawing per 6 seconds of video/animation so given each scene should be roughly between 25-30 seconds - I did 6 to cover the entire scene. I feel that this roughly lays out the plan, timing and movement of the scene but doesn't quite capture the comedy of the wobbly waiter on skates yet. A more developed cleaner version of this storyboard was in development but due to technical difficulties is currently unrecoverable. 

As we develop and discuss our ideas this first iteration of the diner scene may change slightly. 


Finally, here is the first draft animatic solely for the diner scene. Jasmine created a CCTV/Video Camera overlay for our storyboards which was added in for the animatic. This helped keep our scenes cohesive and clearer that it was following our CCTV narrative. I later added sound to this animatic when I combined all 4 skits together for the full Worlds Worst Animatic. 

Comments

Popular Posts